St Matthias Church (Richmond Upon Thames) - PAYE
1232
portfolio_page-template-default,single,single-portfolio_page,postid-1232,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,qode_grid_1400,footer_responsive_adv,qode-content-sidebar-responsive,qode-child-theme-ver-1.0.0,qode-theme-ver-17.2,qode-theme-bridge,qode_header_in_grid,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-5.6,vc_responsive
 

St Matthias Church (Richmond Upon Thames)

Client: Peter Bowyer Architects

Designed by Sir Gilbert Scott and built in the 1850’s Grade II listed St Matthias Church with its magnificent spire is a wonderful example of Victorian architecture.

 

PAYE Stonework & Restoration Limited were employed as Principal Contractor to carry out extensive repair and restoration of the listed elevations that included a conservation clean to remove surface soiling, replacement of eroded Kent Rag stone walling and the reinstatement of missing Elm Park carved heads and crockets to the entrance doorway and pediment.

 

These hand carved embellishments had been lost and replaced with plain copings, similarly carved heads had all but eroded with little of the original detail remaining.

 

Working in close consultation with the architects, PAYE Ltd first provided sketches and hand modelled clay Marquette’s of the features to be re-carved. These were then submitted for comment and approval.

 

Following review and adjustment where requested of the clay Marquette’s, carving could begin using traditional masons craft skills and hand tools.

 

In order to facilitate the reinstatement of the new carved masonry, existing stonework required careful cutting and reworking to help maintain the integrity of the fabric. New stonework was secured using stainless steel dowels where required, it was bedded and pointed up using lime mortars and grouts.

 

Intricate repair and replacement were also carried out to the rose window requiring very careful cutting back of stonework to the glass line to remove damaged masonry. New carved stone was secured using stainless steel threaded dowels drilled into the original stonework using low percussive drills to ensure that no damage occurred to the internal masonry.

 

The ornate stonework had been neglected for a number of years leading to erosion of fine detail and loss of masonry. The original carved crockets over the main doorway had been replaced with plain copings.

 

Damaged stone to the magnificent rose window was carefully cut back to the glass line. New hand carved stone was indented secured using micro stainless-steel pins.

 

New hand carved crockets and heads were produced and reinstated as part of the cleaning, repair and conservation project along with reinstatement of the missing cross to the gable and Kent Rag stone walling.