Southsea Castle - PAYE
1223
portfolio_page-template-default,single,single-portfolio_page,postid-1223,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,qode_grid_1400,footer_responsive_adv,qode-content-sidebar-responsive,qode-child-theme-ver-1.0.0,qode-theme-ver-17.2,qode-theme-bridge,qode_header_in_grid,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-5.6,vc_responsive
 

Southsea Castle

Client: Portsmouth City Council
Principal Contractor: PAYE Stonework & Restoration Limited

In the Middle Ages Bishop’s Waltham Palace was one of the finest residences of the Bishops of Winchester, who were among the richest churchmen in Europe. First built by Henry of Blois in the 12th century, the complex was remodelled and extended in the 14th and 15th centuries, becoming a palace capable of housing the king and his court on a number of occasions, as well as the bishop and his household. The palace was badly damaged in the Civil War (1642–9) and subsequently abandoned. Admiral Sir Andrew Browne Cunningham, one of Britain’s most distinguished naval commanders of modern times, lived here after the Second World War.

 

Works
The works involved the conservation, consolidation and repair to the boundary walls using various forms of access including abseil, spider platforms and mobile access platforms whilst the castle remained accessible to the public.