Leptis Magna Ruins - PAYE
1351
portfolio_page-template-default,single,single-portfolio_page,postid-1351,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,qode_grid_1400,footer_responsive_adv,qode-content-sidebar-responsive,qode-child-theme-ver-1.0.0,qode-theme-ver-17.2,qode-theme-bridge,qode_header_in_grid,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-5.6,vc_responsive
 

Leptis Magna Ruins

Client: Crown Estate

The Leptis Magna Ruins represent a ‘Roman Temple’ and were built from columns, capitals and pieces of decorative entablature from the ancient Roman city of Leptis Magna in Libya. They were given as a gift to King George IV when he was the Prince Regent from the Bashaw of Tripoli.

 

The ruins located in a remote area on the shoreline of a lake within Windsor Great Park created a challenge when delivering the materials and machinery.

 

Working in conjunction with an archaeologist, PAYE’s masons had to carefully excavate the stone from around the ruin, catalogue each unit and establish how it could be incorporated into the restoration to match the original archive photographs.

 

The masons discovered Aswan Egyptian Granite, Troad Turkish granite, Libyan limestone and Greek Carystos marble.

 

Traditional building techniques and materials were used to repair of the ruins which included the re-erection of seven fallen columns which were over 8m tall and weighed in excess of 8 tonnes each.