Greenwich Pumping Station - PAYE
1320
portfolio_page-template-default,single,single-portfolio_page,postid-1320,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,qode_grid_1400,footer_responsive_adv,qode-content-sidebar-responsive,qode-child-theme-ver-1.0.0,qode-theme-ver-17.2,qode-theme-bridge,qode_header_in_grid,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-5.6,vc_responsive
 

Greenwich Pumping Station

Client: Thames Water Utilities
Principal Contractor: PAYE Stonework & Restoration Limited

Greenwich Pumping Station was built between 1859 and 1865 by the Metropolitan Board of Works. Built by Sir Joseph Bazalgette, this Grade II listed building was built in London Stock Brick in and Italianate style.

 

The repair of listed coal sheds, adjacent pumping buildings and administration block. The principal approach defined by the client was for maintenance of the existing fabric and materials not improvement or restoration.

 

The pumping station buildings and administration block were subject to careful repair of stonework and associated brickwork including re-pointing using lime-based mortars.

 

Roofs were overhauled to repair missing and damaged timber slates and leadwork. Timber windows and doors were repaired and re-decorated.

 

The cast iron coal sheds were abrasively cleaned to remove existing paint before being repaired and repainted, sections of missing cast iron were re-made and reinstated.

 

Existing roofs were striped to allow repair of supporting timber and metal work and re-slated using salvaged and new materials.

 

The pumping station remained fully operational throughout the contract.