Bishop Waltham Palace - PAYE
1287
portfolio_page-template-default,single,single-portfolio_page,postid-1287,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,qode_grid_1400,footer_responsive_adv,qode-content-sidebar-responsive,qode-child-theme-ver-1.0.0,qode-theme-ver-17.2,qode-theme-bridge,qode_header_in_grid,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-5.6,vc_responsive
 

Bishop Waltham Palace

Client: National Trust
Principal Contractor: PAYE Stonework & Restoration Limited

In the Middle Ages Bishop’s Waltham Palace was one of the finest residences of the Bishops of Winchester, who were among the richest churchmen in Europe. First built by Henry of Blois in the 12th century, the complex was remodelled and extended in the 14th and 15th centuries, becoming a palace capable of housing the king and his court on a number of occasions, as well as the bishop and his household. The palace was badly damaged in the Civil War (1642–9) and subsequently abandoned. Admiral Sir Andrew Browne Cunningham, one of Britain’s most distinguished naval commanders of modern times, lived here after the Second World War.

 

PAYE’s conservation masons were tasked with consolidating and repairing the flint and Portland limestone walls to provide a protective cap to the masonry walls.

 

Works also included the installation of Cintec anchors and grouting of the body of the walls to provide long term stability to the various structures.